Does MacPorts provides its Test/QA results online?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 18:34:31 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I'm clear: MacPorts does not test compiling under the compiler it
> provides? Is that correct?

MacPorts only uses those compilers when clang will not work. It uses the
system compiler whenever possible, to avoid possible compatibility issues.
In general, the gcc* compilers are provided for users to use and/or for
those (few) ports that won't work with the Xcode-provided clang.

I have this feeling you were expecting something like a Linux distribution,
a full ecosystem that is regression tested with itself.
MacPorts is a BSD ports-like system intended to make available things that
are not provided with OS X, on a best effort basis.