Writing portfiles: How to depend on a certain variant of a port?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Sep 7 01:03:00 PDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 8:09 PM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

>     brew install gnuplot --with-wxmac --with-cairo --with-pdflib-lite --with-x11 --without-lua
> -----
>
> now for gnuplot the default variants are +aquaterm +luaterm +pangocairo +wxwidgets +x11 but according to the above brew stuff I guess I would need the variants +wxwidgets +pangocairo +pdflib +x11
>
> So how would I specify the variants I want in depends_lib?

Having +auaterm +luaterm enabled certainly won't be a problem, but in
general I really doubt that the software requires *exactly* those
terminals enabled. In particular I don't understand why one would need
both X11 and wxWidgets at the same time. And if you have pangocairo
(note that this also requires pango, not just cairo; having just cairo
installed might not be sufficient to get the desired functionality),
there is no need for yet another PDF library because pangocairo knows
how to generate a PDF (and even if you set "set term pdf", it will
automatically work and use pdfcairo instead of pdf even if pdflib is
not installed).

Just start with defaults for now and check how it works. You could in
principle use something like this:

    PortGroup active_variants 1.1
    require_active_variants gnuplot wxwidgets

to make sure that wxWidgets has been compiled into gnuplot, but leave
that for the end.

Mojca