preliminary Portfile for torch 7 (was: Re: Writing portfiles: How to download a master.zip and not a master.zip.tar.gz)

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf lars.sonchocky-helldorf at hamburg.de
Mon Sep 7 18:09:18 PDT 2015

Hi Ryan,

Am 07.09.2015 um 04:29 schrieb Ryan Schmidt:

> On Sep 6, 2015, at 19:34, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
>
>> Thanks to your help I am now one step further. Now it fails when trying to configure the port:
>>
>> --->  Configuring torch
>> sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
>
> The default for the configure phase is to run a script called configure. I guess this project doesn't have one.

no, it doesn't have a configure script. As I said it is a completely homegrown build system based on cmake. First it fetches the sources using git, then builds and even installs (of course not in the right location) torch.

>> This happens because this whole project is based on a rather weird build system with shell scripts downloaded from remote hosts and executed locally, it uses homebrew, cmake and luarocks to build the whole thing …
>
> Everything that is needed should be fetched in the fetch phase. We would not want a build system to fetch additional files. We do have a couple ports that do this, but it causes various problems and should be avoided.

Fixing that would be way above my level. I am even struggling setting up supposedly simple Portfiles. Here is what I did for now. see attached portfile.