uninstalling gimp

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 10 16:21:17 PDT 2015

On Sep 10, 2015, at 17:55, David Epstein wrote:

> It took me a long time to uninstall gimp.
>
> I tried
> port list gimp
> and got the reply
> gimp                           @2.8.14         graphics/gimp
>
> Was I supposed to realise from this reply that I needed to give the command
> sudo port uninstall gimp2
> ??
>
> I initially tried
> sudo port uninstall gimp
> and the command completed without comment or response.
>
> Is this difficulty special to gimp, or is there some MacPorts convention or rule that I don’t know about?

"port list" tells you about ports that are available, not ports that are installed. If you want to know what ports are installed, for example so that you can uninstall some of them, use the command "port installed".

If you want to restrict the list of installed ports to those containing a certain substring such as "gimp" you can use "port installed name:gimp".