<executable>: "no version information available"

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 02:57:40 PDT 2015

Hi,

I know MacPorts isn't actually supported on Linux, but certain ports do build without modification. I make very light use of that (and am even trying if I can reuse my efforts on Qt5 ports), but have been running into an interesting warning lately:

/opt/local/bin/cmake: /opt/local/bin/cmake: no version information available (required by /opt/local/bin/cmake)

or

%> /opt/local/bin/bsdtar --version
/opt/local/bin/bsdtar: /opt/local/bin/bsdtar: no version information available (required by /opt/local/lib/libxml2.so.2)
/opt/local/bin/bsdtar: /opt/local/bin/bsdtar: no version information available (required by /opt/local/lib/libxml2.so.2)
bsdtar 3.1.2 - libarchive 3.1.2

I'm curious where this comes from (and how to remedy it), any ideas?

Thanks,
R.