Unable to read CDs

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 10:21:46 PDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Michael <keybounce at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2016-04-02, at 6:15 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 3:55 AM, Paul Rands <paul0075r at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It is a music cataloging program called Tellico, and is a KDE app.
> Apart from not being > able to open up a CD / DVD drive, it works
> flawlessly.
> >
> > The Finder "owns" the CD/DVD drive; you would have to disable Finder
> support for the drive to be able to use it directly instead of via OS X
> services.
>
> How do you disable Finder's ownership of the DVD drive?

You can;t turn it off completely without disabling all automounting, as I
understand it.
You can do it as a one-shot by using "diskutil list" to see what device
(diskN) the DVD is (this is dynamic and will depend on what other fixed and
removable media is mounted) and then "diskutil unmint diskN" to unmount it;
the automount stuff will then ignore the drive until you are done with it
and either "diskutil mount" or "diskutil eject" it.

Why does Finder own it?
> What service/benefit does Finder provide by owning it?

Automounting, primarily. Opening Finder windows when you insert a CD or DVD.

> And how then does Disk Utility do it's stuff?

Uses OS X services to release the drive, as I mentioned earlier.