WebKit2-GTK: quartz VS XQuartz

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 10:31:37 PDT 2016

What a convolute journey I had here ... will describe after replying:

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 12:10 AM, David Evans <devans at macports.org> wrote:

> Have you tried epiphany as your browser?  I haven't tried it for the
> examples that you mention but it uses WebKit2 via
> X11 as well (but not js).  If the issues that you mention persist they
> should be reported upstream to the Webkit developers.

right now: `epiphany https://www.google.com/` results into:

  Error sending IPC message: Broken pipe.

So yeah, webkit2-gtk doesn't work so well on https ... I've managed to see
something after a few broken pipe messages but I believe there's something
really not right there.

**Moreover**

`sudo port install epiphany` doesn't actually work. It stops installing any
module as soon as it starts, probably because the amount of dependencies is
too big.

I had to split the installation in few steps, starting from `sudo port
install pango`, `sudo port install gnome-desktop`, and `sudo port install
epiphany`.

After all attempts, I've got a `no display found` and I've remembered I had
to install `xorg-xinit` which reminds me I need also to start `xorg-server`
to use MacPorts `X11`, and also I have to manually log-out/in after.

I'm not sure what kind of packages managers you use daily, but having to
investigate why things installed won't start isn't really the best
experience + discovering missing steps instead of having these in by
default is also usually not the way I'm used to ( pacman, apt-get, npm,
gem, yum/dnf, brew )

The reason here seems to be that quartz is not the default fallback but
XQuartz is not a dependency: is that meant? if so, why is that? or better,
are there other possible port backends that is worth making it somehow
troublesome to `sudo port install gtk3` and have it working?

I personally don't find this approach that user friendly, specially on a
platform famous for "it just works" (I know it's not always the case but
...) which breaks in a few points when it comes to GTK3 development,
regardless all the valuable amount of effort everyone is putting in the
community to make things work.

I'd like to thank upfront whoever is willing to improve the current status,
with the possibly non-optimal but surely less rich of surprises quartz
backend, and maybe with a warning that best results are obtained with
XQuartz, or maybe making it installed by default when no other display is
available (at least a question?)

My mac-mini can't wait to help with tests, builds, or anythign else if
needed, just let me know.

Thanks anyway for helps, hints, reports, and answers, and best regards.