MacPorts rsync server in Germany - is this the current "normal"?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 7 14:22:00 PDT 2016

On Aug 7, 2016, at 4:07 PM, [ftp83plus] <gestos at ftp83plus.net> wrote:

> El 2016-08-06, a las 23:09, Ryan Schmidt escribió:

>>> How do I check the address that's being used?
>>
>> It's part of the output you see from MacPorts anytime you install a port that needs to download a file.
>
> http://ykf.ca.distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/mpdistfiles/xorg-randrproto

Ok, so that's the mirror at the University of Waterloo in Canada. MacPorts selects which mirror to use, on a port by port basis, based on which one MacPorts thinks will be fastest. It decides this based on lowest ping time. This is not necessarily 100% reliable: it's possible for a server to respond quickly to pings but slowly to actual file transfers. The UWaterloo server is often the one chosen for me, and it's been fast for me, but it depends on your unique network situation.

If this server doesn't work well for you, you can tell MacPorts to ignore this server by editing host_blacklist in your macports.conf. If there's a server that works best for you, you can tell MacPorts to prefer it by editing preferred_hosts.