how to install an earlier version?

Jim DeLaHunt from.macosforge at jdlh.com
Wed Aug 10 17:30:46 PDT 2016

Hi, folks:

I have the current version of a port installed. I have never had an
earlier version installed. But I would like to install an earlier
version now.  How can I do this?

Adding a version specifier to *port install* doesn't seem to be
effective, I only get the current version. Nor does the port command
documentation <https://guide.macports.org/#using.port> say that a
version specifier is respected.

*port activate* doesn't work, because I hadn't downloaded the older
version earlier.

% port installed MPlayer
   MPlayer @1.3.0_0 (active)

% sudo port activate MPlayer at 1.1_8
Error: port activate failed: Registry error: MPlayer @1.1_8 is not installed.

% sudo port install MPlayer at 1.1_8
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for MPlayer
--->  Cleaning MPlayer
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  No broken files found.

% port installed MPlayer
   MPlayer @1.3.0_0 (active)

Putting a space between the port name and version specifier didn't seem
to make any difference, either.

Is there a way to get a specific older version of a port now, if I
hadn't downloaded it earlier?
Thanks in advance for your help.

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       157-2906 West Broadway, Vancouver BC V6K 2G8, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953