What's the "right" way to update a port to

Gabriel Rosenkoetter gr at eclipsed.net
Fri Aug 19 13:36:11 PDT 2016

I'm very new to this mailing list (as of yesterday), but only relatively new to using MacPorts (for little things over the past few years).

Recently, I finally got around to reripping my CD collection, and I figured I'd use the same tool to do that that I did 15 years ago on a now-deceased FreeBSD system: abcde.

The port installs just fine, and with the right abcde.conf configuration can work, but as noted in https://trac.macports.org/ticket/49799, the preferred way to retrieve tracks from a CD under Mac OS X (cddafs, or "just copy the AIFFs from the mounted volume") is flat broken under the current port version (2.7).

The note in that bug report about the upstream bug is exactly correct, and the fix is available in the relatively recently (April 2016, I think) 2.7.2 upstream release.

I think this should be relatively simple to fix, and I'd like to learn how to do that and contribute the update. Any pointers where I should start reading? (Yes, I could go slog through the whole of the relevant documentation, but I do, as I'm sure you all do, have a day job, so a shove in the right direction may help.)

(I do also have some other suggestions about packages that it'd be neat if abcde also depended upon and used — like py-eyeD3 — and some other software that'd be neat to also have packaged and then depend abcde upon — like glyr — and I'm happy to do the leg work on those things too, but I figured I'd start small and work up from there.)

--
Gabriel Rosenkoetter
gr at eclipsed.net