Updating tk failed on Snow Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 23 18:06:54 PDT 2016

> On Aug 23, 2016, at 8:03 PM, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 23, 2016, at 10:38, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 23, 2016, at 07:02, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> The "official" binaries are indeed available for 10.6 and they were
>>> compiled with the default compiler:
>>>  http://packages.macports.org/tk/
>>>
>>> I can confirm that tk +quartz compiles fine for me on 10.7, but not on
>>> 10.6 (not even with clang 3.4, I didn't test with 3.7).
>>>
>>> I don't find a ticket in the tracker, so feel free to open one. The
>>> closest one I found was
>>>  https://trac.macports.org/ticket/22994
>>> but that one is ancient and most likely unrelated.
>>
>> The official binaries are built on a system with Xcode 3.2.6 and therefore use gcc-4.2, which evidently works.
>>
>> The user is using Xcode 4.2, and the log shows llvm-gcc-4.2 is being used, which evidently doesn't work. We should blacklist that compiler in the port.
>>

> While the problems may not be identical depending on the compiler, that alone isn't the answer.  I installed Xcode 3.2.6 (and made sure that xcode-select -print-path showed that version), and it still failed.  I cleaned and added -universal...and it still failed.  I did that again adding -quartz...and it found the pre-built binaries.
>
> I see the pre-built hasn't used +quartz for a number of versions, although I have evidently gotten it to work before:
> sh-3.2# port installed tk
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  tk @8.6.5_0+quartz+universal
>  tk @8.6.6_0+x11 (active)
>
> So the problem may be specific to trying to build tk at 8.6.6_0+quartz.

Yes, I agree, sorry, Mojca responded to me privately that the problem isn't the compiler, it's the +quartz variant, and I confirmed that on my system too. This problem needs to be reported to the developers of tk so it can be fixed.

+quartz used to be the default variant but it was changed last year:

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/141308