installer doesn't modify root path

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 07:06:03 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no>
wrote:

> Well, you did not say in the bug report that you were using sudo, so no
> wonder it got closed.

? sudo is the recommended way to do this.

> My own systems are too heavily modified at the moment for me to be sure,
> but I have a file /etc/paths.d/45-macports containing the two lines
>
> /opt/local/bin
> /opt/local/sbin

This is not standard.

> These should be enough to ensure that those directories appear in the path
> when you run sudo. You can check by running “sudo printenv PATH”. I believe
> that file is installed by the macports installer? If not, you can install
> it yourself. But from what you say, I gather you must have this file? What
> about /etc/sudoers? Have you made any modifications to that file?

I would also suspect a sudoers modification here. The default should retain
the user's PATH, but you can configure sudo to always use the target user's
PATH instead, which would lead to this. It would be up to you to arrange
that MacPorts and other software continues to work after such a change.