Disabling MySQL skip-networking ??

David Herron david at davidherron.com
Wed Feb 24 15:10:52 PST 2016

I want to have MySQL on my laptop with no skip-networking and with

bind-address=127.0.0.1

The problem is that the /opt/local/etc/mysql56/macports-default.cnf has
skip-networking

The reasoning given is so we can run multiple simultaneous MySQL's
side-by-side.

But.. what if I am okay with using just one MySQL and want/need to use a
TCP/IP connection to access the database?

As it is, the MacPorts MySQL sets skip-networking in a file which will be
overwritten whenever I upgrade (via selfupdate or whatever).  Which means
even if I commented out skip-networking, it can reappear some later time
and I might not remember about this setting.

That's what just happened to me.  I remember now a few weeks ago having
pulled my hair out over why I couldn't access MySQL, and then finding the
skip-networking option and commenting it out.  Then today I again spent
most of the day tearing my hair out, then finding that option had
mysteriously uncommented itself.

Would it be enough to remove the "!include" line from my.cnf?  Would the
macports-default.cnf then be ignored?