Perl 6

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Jan 5 04:28:08 PST 2016

On 5 January 2016 at 12:52, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
> Will this work with perl_select…?

No. Or at least not yet.

Perl 6 is not even remotely compatible with Perl 5, so there is no way
to switch between the two versions of Perl to run the same script.

In the future it might be possible to provide multiple versions of
Perl 6 and switch between those (I'm not sure if we want that, but who
knows). We could talk about improvements of port select for perl 5,
but perl 6 is still relatively far from that.

> My installation of perl_select has been a bit flaky. I have perl5.22, 5.16 and 5.18 installed but I had to install a specific variant of perl5 to get it to work with all those different perls.

You could file individual bug reports on Trac in cases when calling
perl5.18 doesn't do the job for you for example, even though "port
select" is not quite ready yet and we might use a different approach
completely. I'm not sure if implementing port select for perl is even
feasible.

Mojca