app-bundle vs. regular/"BSD utility" executables : what differences are there still?

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Jan 5 10:29:41 PST 2016

There are really two main difference between the two cases:
  1) The app bundles have an inherent main bundle (ie: [NSBundle mainBundle]).
  2) Apps are (usually) launched by LaunchServices.  You can exec them directly, but that is not the preferred way to do it (and may not always work in the future).

It's certainly possible for processes to draw GUI elements without being bundled, but it's less trivial.

It's possible for a standalone executable to have an Info.plist.  It is embedded in the executable in an __info_plist section.  This can be done by the CREATE_INFOPLIST_SECTION_IN_BINARY Xcode build setting or by creating an __info_plist section manually at link time if not using Xcode (-Wl,-sectcreate,__TEXT,__info_plist,/path/to/my/Info.plist).

As far as spawning processes in general, please don't use system() or fork()/exec().  Please use the posix_spawn syscall instead as it is much cleaner and has less overhead.

The open utility is basically a CLI to LSOpenURLsWithRole().  It does not exec or spawn anything.  It just calls into LSOpenURLsWithRole().