Trouble installing some (but not all) ports

Brittany B. Lott bbl.419 at me.com
Tue Jan 12 18:15:29 PST 2016

Hi,

I’m pretty new to using MacPorts and the command line in general, so I’m hoping this is an easy fix for someone who knows what they’re doing. So far, I’ve had success installing fun ports that weren’t my main goal (like the ports “figlet” and “add”), but the ones I can’t install are “Pallet” and "auto-multiple-choice” (which is the one I really want). I’m not sure exactly what information is necessary for someone to diagnose the problem, but I am more than happy to provide whatever can help explain the situations better.

Problem 1: (If they aren’t related and only one problem gets fixed, I would like it to be this one!) Here is the error output when I enter the command "sudo port -d install auto-multiple-choice”:

DEBUG: couldn't open "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_x11_auto-multiple-choice/auto-multiple-choice/work/.macports.auto-multiple-choice.state": permission denied
    while executing
"open $statefile a+"
    (procedure "open_statefile" line 124)
    invoked from within
"open_statefile"
    (procedure "check_variants" line 29)
    invoked from within
"check_variants activate"
    invoked from within
"$workername eval check_variants $target"
    (procedure "mportexec" line 7)
    invoked from within
"mportexec $workername $target"
Error: Unable to execute port: couldn't open "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_x11_auto-multiple-choice/auto-multiple-choice/work/.macports.auto-multiple-choice.state": permission denied

It turns out that the file it can’t open doesn’t exist. Any ideas?

Problem 2: Incidentally, I get a different error when I try to install Pallet ("sudo port -d install Pallet”):

The following build commands failed:
	CompileC build/MacPorts.Framework.build/Release/MPHelperTool.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/MPHelperTool.o MPHelperTool.m normal x86_64 objective-c com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
(1 failure)
Command failed: cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_MacPorts_Framework/MacPorts_Framework/work/MacPorts_Framework" && /usr/bin/xcodebuild  -target "MacPorts" -configuration Release build OBJROOT=build/ SYMROOT=build/ MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.10 ARCHS=x86_64 SDKROOT="" GCC_VERSION=com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0 CLANG_CXX_LIBRARY="libc++"
Exit code: 65
Error: org.macports.build for port MacPorts_Framework returned: command execution failed
DEBUG: Error code: NONE
DEBUG: Backtrace: command execution failed
    while executing
"proc-org.macports.build-build-0 org.macports.build"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval $procedure $targetname"
Warning: targets not executed for MacPorts_Framework: org.macports.activate org.macports.build org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
Error: Failed to install MacPorts_Framework
DEBUG: Registry error: MacPorts_Framework not registered as installed & active.
    invoked from within
"registry_active $subport"
    invoked from within
"$workername eval registry_active \$subport"
Please see the log file for port MacPorts_Framework for details:
    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_MacPorts_Framework/MacPorts_Framework/main.log
Error: The following dependencies were not installed: MacPorts_Framework
To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
Error: Processing of port Pallet failed

Reading the main.log file referenced there at the end gives pretty much the same output as I’ve copied here.

Thanks so much,
Brittany