Xcode installed before macports?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 19 19:11:11 PST 2016

On Jan 19, 2016, at 16:21, Timothy W. Grove wrote:

> Must the latest Xcode be installed before macports? I installed Xcode 3.2 in Snow Leopard, then macports before I discovered there was an Xcode 4.2 available for Snow Leopard.
>
> Do I now need to remove macports and reinstall it to make use of Xcode 4.2? Thanks.

For Snow Leopard, Xcode 3.2.6 is recommended. Xcode 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 for Snow Leopard are not recommended because they are not free so MacPorts is tested much less well on those versions and you are likely to run into more problems when using them.

You do not need to reinstall MacPorts if you only change the Xcode version.