py33-scipy problem

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Sat Jan 23 17:52:52 PST 2016

On Jan 21, 2016, at 9:20 PM, David Strubbe <dstrubbe at macports.org> wrote:

David, thank you for this explanation. Installing py33-scipy +gfortran worked. However, I have these notes.

> As the message says, you need to select a Fortran variant. You have not. You can see this from the fact that the file trying to be fetched is py33-scipy-0.16.1_0.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2 not py33-scipy-0.16.1_0+gcc48.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2.

No, I can't see this because I'm not schooled in the arcania of MacPorts. I'm just a semi-sophisticated user following the admonishment to update his MacPorts installation.

> Yes, you had py33-scipy +gcc48 installed previously, and macports will try to use the same variants you had selected before when upgrading.

I never selected any variants; any installation of py33-scipy was handled by the ports system.

> However, there is no longer a variant +gcc48 (as below). Therefore, you must choose one of the four currently existing Fortran variants. e.g. sudo port install py33-scipy +gfortran.

Why is this not handled automatically? If I can type sudo port install py33-scipy +gfortran and the upgrade script recognizes the problem then why can't the upgrade script handle it?

I humbly submit that this is poor design, and wonder why it is not a bug.

Please understand that these comments are not directed at you but at the community at large.

Jerry