MacPorts servers slowness...

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Jul 18 14:16:54 PDT 2016

Hello,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:32:31PM +0200, Marko Käning wrote:
> > Note that distfiles.macports.org and packages.macports.org are now
> > served by a CDN, so you'd have to directly access the IP address
> > those domain resolve to for you to find out which datacenter you are
> > actually getting.
>
> Uuuhhmmmm…
>
> Well, I wasn’t aware of any changes in MacPorts’ hosting...

This change was announced a while ago on the macports-announce mailing
list. You should subscribe. The particular announcement is here:
  https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-announce/2016-March/000035.html

> > I don't see any problems, but I've also set a preferred mirror that
> > isn't the CDN.
>
> How do I set a preferred mirror? And which is recommended for Bavaria?

You can set preferred_hosts in your macports.conf. I have set it to
  nue.de.distfiles.macports.org nue.de.packages.macports.org,
which should be a suitable setting for use within Bavaria, especially if
you're in the German research network, since the mirror is actually
provided by Friedrich-Alexander university of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
Additionally, if there are problems with this mirror I have paths to get
those addressed.

HTH,
--
Clemens