Problem w/ MySQL57 install

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Mon Jul 25 00:04:28 PDT 2016

Hi folks,

in the instructions at https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MySQL (written
to MySQL56, though I'm using the same instructions to install MySQL57
instead), it says to run

      sudo -u _mysql mysql_install_db

Doing so for MySQL57 gives the message:

     [WARNING] mysql_install_db is deprecated. Please consider switching to
mysqld --initialize

I tried

    sudo -u _mysql mysqld --initialize

but that gave me

    [ERROR] --initialize specified but the data directory has files in it.
Aborting.

which appears to be true.... Is there a different command I should be
using, or are there some missing options which need to be specified?

When I load MySQL and try to connect I get

     Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/opt/local/var/run/mysql57/mysqld.sock' (2)

Any hints on where I'm going wrong?

Thanks