Problem w/ MySQL57 install

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Mon Jul 25 13:54:30 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> > On Jul 25, 2016, at 2:04 AM, Bill Christensen <
> billc_lists at greenbuilder.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > in the instructions at https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MySQL
> (written to MySQL56, though I'm using the same instructions to install
> MySQL57 instead), it says to run
> >
> >       sudo -u _mysql mysql_install_db
> >
> > Doing so for MySQL57 gives the message:
> >
> >      [WARNING] mysql_install_db is deprecated. Please consider switching
> to mysqld --initialize
> >
> > I tried
> >
> >     sudo -u _mysql mysqld --initialize
> >
> > but that gave me
> >
> >     [ERROR] --initialize specified but the data directory has files in
> it. Aborting.
> >
> > which appears to be true.... Is there a different command I should be
> using, or are there some missing options which need to be specified?
>
> Did you check https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MySQL#mysql_upgrade ?

No, I hadn't, as the db install is new and I was following the instructions
from the top down.  I hadn't gotten that far yet.

running
     sudo /opt/local/lib/mysql56/bin/mysql_upgrade -u root -p
results in
    Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/opt/local/var/run/mysql57/mysqld.sock' (2) while connecting to the MySQL
server