Macports fails to build in macOS 10.12 Sierra

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Jun 18 22:39:26 PDT 2016

On 19 June 2016 at 06:13, Al Varnell wrote:

> That being said, I was under the impression that before we can attempt to
> migrate from an older OS, we must wait for MacPorts to release a Sierra
> version of the MacPorts installation package.

No, that's not a requirement. You can of course try to install
MacPorts from sources, you just need to know that you are to a big
extent on your own, both because:
- many developers don't have access to the new OS and are unable to help you
- from what I understood it's not allowed to discuss the problems publicly

> That's what I have always done
> in the past, but I don't recall how long it took to get such a package put
> together after a new OS X was announced.

Usually that's as soon as the new OS gets released officially (plus
the time needed until one of the developers with access to all OS
versions and with a valid certificate makes the binaries).

But even after that you are still likely to run into many problems
with various software that would refuse to build or run properly on
the new OS.

Mojca