Wine Install Issue

Mark Hart professormrh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:40:54 PDT 2016

I am having some issues installing wine on a MBP, MBA, and a new VM of El
Capitan and I feel like I must be doing something stupid and could use some
help:

All three installs exhibit the same issue:

Macports installs fine, I can install many other ports which work, but when
I install wine-devel (or wine) the installation completes without error but
if I enter any command (winecfg for example) I receive this error message:

Assertion failed: (dx > 0 && dy >= 0 && x1 <= x && x <= x2), function lerp,
file fcweight.c, line 48.
fixme:ntdll:RtlNtStatusToDosErrorNoTeb no mapping for 80000101
err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load
shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW
wine: Call from 0x7b42935a to unimplemented function
shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW called at address
0x7b42935a (thread 000b), starting debugger...
err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 10 36") (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly
L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
Assertion failed: (dx > 0 && dy >= 0 && x1 <= x && x <= x2), function lerp,
file fcweight.c, line 48.
err:module:attach_process_dlls "gdi32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for
L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe" failed, status 80000101

What also concerns me is that drive_c in .wine only contains a windows
directory that has a win.ini file and an empty system32 directory. I
thought system32 should contain other support files?

My MBP had Macports and wine-devel on it since last year but something
happened after I updated to 1.9.12.  After many unsuccessful attempts to
resolve the issue I completely uninstalled Macports so I could do a fresh
install.  When a fresh install exhibited the above issue, I decided to
install Macports and wine-devel on another machine to see if that also
exhibited the same issue.  When that did as well, I installed a new copy of
El Capitan in Parallels so it would be easier to do some testing.

All three install of Macports will install and run every port I have tried
so far except wine-devel (or wine).  Each of the system32 directories are
empty as well. What am I missing here?

Thank you for your time,
Mark