Time Machine restore

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 17:38:52 PST 2016

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Mark Brethen <mark.brethen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had my hard drive wiped with a clean install of El Capitan. I noticed in
> the Time Machine checklist a MacPorts item with a message that MacPorts
> Home would moved to my user (size was zero kb). What is this and do I need
> to re-install macports? port command seems to work fine and I did not
> change operating systems.

MacPorts sets up a non-GUI user that it does builds under (instead of doing
them as root). Apparently Time Machine doesn't like this and wants to make
it match your user,

I would skip that part of it and reinstall MacPorts to make sure the user
is set up properly. I don't know offhand if TM will restore things like
launchd plists properly, or if you should follow Migration to make sure
installed ports haven't lost anything.