Time Machine restore

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 18:08:07 PST 2016

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Mark Brethen <mark.brethen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 5, 2016, at 7:38 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Mark Brethen <mark.brethen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I had my hard drive wiped with a clean install of El Capitan. I noticed
> in the Time Machine checklist a MacPorts item with a message that MacPorts
> Home would moved to my user (size was zero kb). What is this and do I need
> to re-install macports? port command seems to work fine and I did not
> change operating systems.
> >
> > MacPorts sets up a non-GUI user that it does builds under (instead of
> doing them as root). Apparently Time Machine doesn't like this and wants to
> make it match your user,
> >
> > I would skip that part of it and reinstall MacPorts to make sure the
> user is set up properly. I don't know offhand if TM will restore things
> like launchd plists properly, or if you should follow Migration to make
> sure installed ports haven't lost anything.
>
> Does that include all of the ports I have installed?

Just reinstalling MacPorts would not affect installed ports. The Migration
stuff (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration) would involve removing and
reinstalling ports.

I suppose you could just reinstall the MacPorts base and then verify that
all active ports have all their files. Reinstall any ports that report
missing files.

    oIFS="$IFS"
    # note that this is a single newline in single quotes
    IFS='
'
    for port in $(port -q echo active); do
      for file in $(port -q contents "$port" | sed -n 's/^  //p'); do
        test -e "$file" || echo "MISSING from $port: $file"
      done
    done
    IFS="$oIFS"