QEMU on Powerbook G4 running 10.5.8

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 14 23:34:11 PDT 2016

On Mar 15, 2016, at 1:29 AM, John T. Chung <jchung at nyquest.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 15, 2016, at 1:23 AM, John T. Chung <jchung at nyquest.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I just browsed the qemu-usermode repository here:
>> >
>> > https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/emulators/qemu-usermode
>> >
>> > and I only see version 0.9.0, which is the version that didn't work. Are there other versions that I could try?
>>
>> Looking at the log now, I agree, 0.9.0 is the only version we ever had in MacPorts. You could edit the portfile to try out other versions.
>
> Hey Ryan, ok. Sorry to be an idiot, but how would do this?

The location of the portfile on your system can be shown by running the command:

port file qemu-usermode

You can edit that file in your favorite editor. If you've configured the EDITOR shell environment variable, you can do that by running

sudo port edit qemu-usermode

Change the version line to another version you'd like to try, change the checksums to match those appropriate to that version, and if necessary adjust master_sites and other parts of the portfile as needed to download and build that version.

Looks like much newer versions of qemu are available at http://qemu.org. If you're wanting to try older versions than the ancient one we have in MacPorts, I'm not sure where they could still be found.

More information on how to write portfiles is in the portfile development chapter of the manual:

https://guide.macports.org/chunked/development.html