webkit-gtk fails to build

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 21 16:39:28 PDT 2016

> On Mar 21, 2016, at 3:29 PM, [ftp83plus] <gestos at ftp83plus.net> wrote:
>
> After cleaning libgcc and reinstalling, no error. Now attempting to install xsane…
> Now webkit-gtk fails. I cleaned and reattempted installation, as told, but it failed again:
> log is http://pastebin.com/wxyHSjBV

The log says:

:info:build Traceback (most recent call last):
:info:build   File "./Tools/gtk/generate-inspector-gresource-manifest.py", line 18, in <module>
:info:build     import argparse
:info:build ImportError: No module named argparse

argparse is included with Python 2.7 and later. OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard comes with Python 2.6.1.

You could work around this problem by installing and selecting MacPorts python27.

sudo port install python27
sudo port select python python27

But this is a bug in the webkit-gtk port that should be fixed in that port, by depending on and using python27 when the OS does not provide a new enough python -- or, more simply, by always doing so.