lost terminal after quitting python3

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Mon Mar 21 18:11:40 PDT 2016

On Monday, March 21, 2016, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2016, at 9:13 AM, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 21, 2016, at 2:21 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >>
> >> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/48807
> >
> > A number of times recently, I’ve had python 2.7 just lock up in the
> terminal as well.  Sometimes it comes back after a while, but usually not.
> I can just open another terminal at that point and work there.  Could this
> be the same problem?  It seems random enough that I hadn't reported it, and
> I wasn’t even sure if it was a python, terminal, OS or what kind of
> problem?   Is the ticket just a python3 issue?
>
> The ticket says it affects all python versions.

And for clarity, currently 27 (only) will be built against readline unless
installed with +libedit, while all others will build against libedit unless
installed with +readline. All users can install pyNN-readline as an
alternate route to avoid the libedit issue (terminal state fouled on exit.

This does not sound like the other problem you are describing (locking up
-- what do you mean by that?)

Sorry for the confusing state. There is not broad agreement on how to
proceed, so we're currently in a bit of limbo. Some would like to dig in
and identify the problem. I think that's great, but I don't have the time
to work that out currently, so I moved 27 (likely broadest used) to build
against readline (so few users run into this issue) until this is worked
out. See the ticket for discussion or to chime in!

  - Eric