Macports needs a little marketing ....

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 23:30:23 CET 2016

I’m always amazed by the things the ports in MacPorts can do that I never imagined.

With so many ports, it can sometimes be difficult to stumble across the real gems, or even to realize just what a certain port can help you do. I’m sure even after 10 years of using MacPorts I’ve barely scratched the surface.

Finding out what ports are downloaded the most would be interesting. The basic utility building blocks would be heavily used, of course, but more the final-product type of ports would be useful.

Also, some kind of rating system, like many sites have for things, might lead people to the good stuff.

Even a way to see what ports are getting updated and when they were last updated is nice — shame in a way that line is being stripped out of the portfiles now. Installing a port that was last modified in 2005 is not likely to be rewarding...

Something like the Macintosh Garden website <http://macintoshgarden.org <http://macintoshgarden.org/>> would be really neat for people to pore through. Don’t know if any of you have been to that site / use that site / love or hate that site — but it’s been up for years, and has a fairly easy-to-use way of browsing their contents.

My Ubuntu box has a downloadable software browser with screenshots and more interesting details…

It might be hard for people to get excited about things if they have no idea how they work or what they are ….

I’m sure you must have all discussed this at great length in the past.

Ken