Macports needs a little marketing ....

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 17:21:53 CET 2016

> JPortsUI lets you choose the number of days the ports have been updated within
> (“What’s new?” button).
>
> The latest binary available dates back to 2013.03 but it is still working and
> is much more zippy and stable than Pallet: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/jportsui/>.

Well - a ports GUI isn't really what I was getting at, but it could be useful, I suppose.

Word to the wise, though. i just tried out JPortsGUI this morning. Never heard of it before.

It is pretty neat, and it showed me that all my perl5.22 ports were obsoleted by perl 5.24. OK.  There was a nice button there to "uninstall" it, so I selected one of the perl5.22 ports, selected uninstall, and hit apply.

BIG MISTAKE.

somehow, it then uninstalled all my versions of clang, all my versions of llvm, libunwind-headers, cctools, ld64 -- the entire toolchain is gone. As I'm on LibcxxOnOlderSystems, this will be a massive project to repair.

So - I guess I'm not a fan of port GUIs any more.

But that doesn't take away from the idea that a way of showcasing what ports are available, how they work, when they were last updated, and what people think of them would be a good idea.

Now to go get a cup of coffee and figure out how to fix this mess...

Ken