Need help configuring gdb (ggdb)...

Carlo Tambuatco oraclmaster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 03:19:32 CET 2016

I’m a bit confused as to the steps involved for code signing the gdb application before using it.

The notes for gdb says:
-----------------------------------
gdb has the following notes:
  You will need to make sure /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.taskgated.plist has the '-p' option, e.g.
              <key>ProgramArguments</key>
              <array>
                      <string>/usr/libexec/taskgated</string>
                      <string>-sp</string>
              </array>

  Due to kernel caching, you usually need to restart Mac OS X for this option to effect.

Okay, so far so good. I disabled SIP, restarted, made those changes and then reenabled SIP and restarted. But I heard that the Darwin kernel needs the gdb executable to be code signed in order to have permissions to control other processes.

I found instructions for how to do so here:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.8.1/gnat_ugn_unw/Codesigning-the-Debugger.html <https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.8.1/gnat_ugn_unw/Codesigning-the-Debugger.html>

But I have not yet gone ahead and done so since I am confused about the <gnat_install_prefix> argument in the last step. First of all, is this referring to the gcc ada compiler…and if so, is it already installed or do I need to go and install this thing? I was under the impression all dependencies for gdb were installed before gdb itself was installed so shouldn't this prerequisite exist somewhere on my system, I just don’t know where?

Any clarifications are appreciated…thanks.