Broken ports?

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Tue Nov 22 01:39:06 CET 2016

Hi,

I am on macOS 10.6.8, and was at MacPorts 2.3.4.  I use MacPorts intermittently, so I am not that familiar with edge cases and figuring out failures.

I just tried this:
====================================
$ port info surf
Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider updating them by running 'port selfupdate'.
surf @1.0.6 (math)
Variants:             [+]gui, universal

                      curves, algebraic surfaces and hyperplane sections of surfaces. surf is
                      script driven and has (optionally) a nifty GUI using the Gtk widget set.
Homepage:             http://surf.sourceforge.net/

Library Dependencies: gmp, flex, jpeg, tiff, xorg-libX11, gtk1, xorg-libXmu
Platforms:            darwin
License:              GPL-2
Maintainers:          shreevatsa.public at gmail.com, openmaintainer at macports.org
====================================

Then I did a selfupgrade, which took me to 2.3.5.  Then this:
====================================

$ so port install surf
Warning: Skipping surf (not in the ports tree)
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  No broken files found.
====================================

Then I upgraded the outdated ports, which wandered around for a while, and ended with this:
====================================

--->  Updating database of binaries
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  Found 4 broken file(s), matching files to ports
Warning: No port surf found in the index; can't rebuild
--->  Broken files found, but all associated ports are not in the index and so cannot be rebuilt.
====================================

Since this didn't give me much to go on, I looked in the manual, and decided to try
====================================
$ so port -v rev-upgrade
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
Could not open /opt/local/lib/libglib-1.2.0.dylib: Error opening or reading file (referenced from /opt/local/bin/surf)
Could not open /opt/local/lib/libgmodule-1.2.0.dylib: Error opening or reading file (referenced from /opt/local/bin/surf)
Could not open /opt/local/lib/libgdk-1.2.0.dylib: Error opening or reading file (referenced from /opt/local/bin/surf)
Could not open /opt/local/lib/libgtk-1.2.0.dylib: Error opening or reading file (referenced from /opt/local/bin/surf)
--->  Found 4 broken file(s), matching files to ports
Warning: No port surf found in the index; can't rebuild
--->  Broken files found, but all associated ports are not in the index and so cannot be rebuilt.

Surf is installed,
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  615928 Sep  3  2014 /opt/local/bin/surf

but obviously broken.  Is this no longer supported?

Thanks for any help/pointers.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker