Migration from Mavericks to El Capitan failed

Stanton Sanderson stansand at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 13:41:45 CEST 2016

> On Oct 10, 2016, at 6:01 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 10, 2016, at 3:55 AM, list_email at icloud.com wrote:
>>
>> I’m trying to upgrade MacPorts after upgrading my OS from Mavericks to El Capitan. (My computer is too old for Sierra.) I followed the migration instructions at https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration but the process related to the line
>>
>> sudo ./restore_ports.tcl myports.txt
>>
>> generated a lot of errors. I have no idea what to do next. I’ve attached the large Terminal output.
>>
>> Jerry
>> <MacPorts upgrade Terminal output.txt.zip>
>
> The log shows you encountered the error "too many open files" while running ./restore_ports.tcl. This is probably:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/50986
>
> Please try installing fewer ports at once.

As previously reported, I found the following to be effective:

During the reinstall port process there were a few times when it halted for some reason or another (e.g., "too many files open”). I found that re-running

		sudo rm -rf /opt/local/var/macports/build/*
followed by

		sudo ./restore_ports.tcl myports.txt

allowed the process to continue.