gtk2 and gtk3 ports and +x11 vs +quartz variant worries

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 18:41:35 CEST 2016

Is there a wiki page I missed perhaps for how to sort out the conflicting requirements for +x11 and +quartz in the various gtk port implementations?

I understand the basic reasons for this, but  I quite frequently seem to find myself on the wrong side of the line with this.

Perhaps there is no answer to satisfy all requirements, and I get that. A 'cheat sheet' of what ports go with what variants (+x11 vs +quartz) would be nice, if anyone has that level of experience with it.

Best, Ken

Here are this mornings issues (after 24 hours of compiling following yesterday's port selfupdate). I'm sure I'll eventually figure out how to straighten this out....

port upgrade outdated led to -->

--->  Computing dependencies for gcr
Error: org.macports.archivefetch for port gcr returned: gtk3 must be installed with +x11.

$ sudo port install gtk3 +x11
Error: org.macports.archivefetch for port gtk3 returned: gdk-pixbuf2 must be installed with +x11.

$ sudo port install gdk-pixbuf2 +x11
sudo port install gdk-pixbuf2 +x11

--->  Found 42 broken file(s), matching files to ports
--->  Found 7 broken port(s), determining rebuild order
--->  Rebuilding in order
     gtk2 @2.24.31 +universal+x11
     py27-pygtk @2.24.0 +quartz-x11
     avahi @0.6.31 +gtk+gtk3+quartz
     gtk-osx-application-gtk2 @2.0.8 +universal
     libsexy @0.1.11
     hexchat @2.12.1 +quartz+ssl
     webkit-gtk @2.4.11 +quartz+video

Error: org.macports.archivefetch for port py27-pygtk returned: gtk2 must be installed with +quartz.