Moving to GitHub: Status Update, Action Required

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Sat Oct 22 04:20:56 CEST 2016

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 2:12 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Hello MacPorts users and developers,
>
> ... Please read through
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit
> which contains a number of guidelines for working with the MacPorts Git
> repositories.

The Working with Git page is pretty good.  There is a lot of good background and explanation of why and how Git is different from svn.

However, would it be possible to add a tangible example of updating a port to that page?

I know a little bit about Subversion and less about Git.  I would like to see a soup-to-nuts example of cloning the ports tree, updating a Portfile, maybe deleting an old patch and adding a new one, and getting the updated port into MacPorts (direct commit v. pull request).  It would be helpful if one-time requirements (setting name and email address) were clearly separated from repetitive steps (pulling changes from master?).  Otherwise, it is going to be a wee bit nerve-wracking the first few times...

Also, is the consensus that a graphical user interface over git more likely to be harmful than helpful?  The Tools section at the bottom of the page doesn’t give any kind of recommendation.

Craig