Moving to GitHub: Status Update, Action Required

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 06:04:43 CEST 2016

On 2016-10-21, at 8:03 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:

>>> I don't know that there is any sort of consensus on that. Everyone
>>> has their own preferences, and Git is almost absurdly flexible about
>>> workflows. I don't think our documentation should recommend any
>>> particular tools.
>>
>> I think it would be reasonable for us to mention that GitHub Desktop
>> is a GUI client that exists and works for basic operations like
>> creating or switching between branches and committing changes and has
>> a handy diff viewer to see your changes before committing and even
>> lets you select which portions of your diff you want to commit. But it
>> is of no help with even slightly more advanced git commands.
>
> Sure, we should certainly list more tools; that section is a bit sparse.
> I just meant that we shouldn't recommend any one tool over the others
> (e.g., "if you like GUI tools, you should use X").

The first thing I noticed not mentioned in that doc was "git gui". While you do mention that you can commit multiple changes, separately, before pushing it all out, the question is, how do you separate a bunch of edits into several separate commits.

"git gui", for me, is an invaluable tool for reviewing changes before committing them, and for breaking changes into several commits. This looks like something that deserves to be mentioned as a "start here" tool.

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce