Moving to GitHub: Status Update, Action Required

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sat Oct 29 18:21:16 CEST 2016

On 10/29/16 7:19 AM, Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 07:58:16AM -0700, David Evans wrote:
>> Considering that this is a significant event, I'd appreciate it (and
>> others might as well) if a specific date & time, expressed in UTC,
>> could be published today for the disabling of subversion write access.
>
> We'll try to keep write access open as long as reasonable feasible. We
> need some time to switch everything over in a somewhat atomic fashion so
> that builds aren't scheduled multiple times, you don't receive multiple
> commit emails, etc.
>
> We cannot exactly predict when this will be necessary yet, which is why
> we did not specify an exact date. From a developer perspective, please
> just try to avoid committing this weekend unless absolutely necessary
> (and then you'll just notice whether it works or not).
>

>> Doesn't have to be a hard commitment for the infrastructure team. Even
>> if it was something like "not earlier than xxxx", it would help with
>> planning.
>
> Not earlier than now (and probably not for a couple of hours, or even
> not at all on Saturday).

Thanks for the reply, Clemens.

I make my own deadline of 1600 PDT on Friday and almost made it.  Just
a few commits after that.  Will try and leave subversion alone this weekend
as you suggest and hope to wake up on Monday in a new world.

Once you're ready to switch, I still suggest an announcement shortly (an hour?)
before you do so as to demonstrate that the change is intentional and to thus
avoid various "something isn't working" emails and tickets from people who
aren't paying attention.

Thanks to you and the others who have put so much effort into upgrading our
tools and infrastructure.

Dave