10.6.8 and ffmpeg

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 30 01:23:12 CEST 2016

> On Oct 29, 2016, at 5:32 PM, David Evans <devans at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 10/28/16 9:58 PM, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
>> Am I right in thinking that  ffmpeg now requires libsdl2 while it previously required libsdl?  That causes ffmpeg to fail on 10.6.x, because libsdl2 fails:
>>
>> Error: org.macports.fetch for port libsdl2 returned: Building libsdl2 requires OS X 10.7 SDK or later
>> Error: Failed to install libsdl2
>> Please see the log file for port libsdl2 for details:
>>    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_libsdl2/libsdl2/main.log
>> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: libsdl2
>> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
>> To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>>    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
>>

> Yep, it was a recent upstream decision to remove support for sdl1 and replace it with sdl2.  Their rationale is that
> sdl2 is the mainstream version of the library and sdl has not been maintained since about 2012. With the 3.2 release
> this effects both ffmpeg and ffmpeg-devel.  See http://ffmpeg.org/index.html#news for the announcement.
>
> Our choice then is to upgrade the port and go with sdl2 or stick with sdl and never upgrade the port again.  We chose
> follow ffmpeg's update path.  But you could choose not to update locally and stay with the ffmpeg <= 3.1.5 which only
> supports sdl (not sdl2).  This is probably a better way to go than trying to shoehorn the 10.7 SDK into a 10.6
> environment.  Or if you're going to do that why not update to 10.7 or better.

There are Macs that cannot update to 10.7 or later, but which might still be viable as audio/video playing machines.

Requiring sdl2 in ffmpeg kinda sucks because now a lot of ports that use ffmpeg that worked fine on Snow Leopard don't anymore, including pianobar. I just finally convinced the pianobar developers to add a compatibility getline function so that it can build on Snow Leopard again, and now ffmpeg's sdl2 requirement makes it not work on Snow Leopard again.

If sdl2 can be built on Snow Leopard using a copy of the 10.7 SDK obtained from a later Xcode, and that sdl2 then works ok on Snow Leopard, then I'd be happy if we could come up with an official way to support that, and then we could do that on the buildbot, which would cover a lot of users' needs.