MacPorts missing links

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Sep 12 09:39:57 PDT 2016

> On Sep 12, 2016, at 7:25 AM, David Epstein <David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> When I now run
>> sudo find -L /opt/local -type l -exec port provides {} +
>
> I get
>> /opt/local/lib/libpng.la is provided by: libpng
>> /opt/local/libexec/qt4/include/QtCLucene is provided by: qt4-mac
>> /opt/local/libexec/qt4/include/QtDesignerComponents is provided by: qt4-mac
>> /opt/local/libexec/qt4/Library/Frameworks/QtCLucene.framework/Headers is provided by: qt4-mac
>
> With regard to your remark about libpng, isn’t it the case that the MacPorts guide now indicates that it is not necessary to start from scratch when the OS is upgraded? Anyway, I have not been starting from scratch on MacPorts with recent OS upgrades. So libpng would perhaps have been left over from previous operating systems,. I don’t see why it would have been uninstalled.

I'm not sure where the Guide says that, but it shouldn't. We do still recommend reinstalling after major OS upgrades.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

> I should read more documentation on “port select”. I think that “man port” does not give an adequate explanation, and I would welcome a pointer to fuller documentation about “port select”.

The new documentation system has a "port-select" manpage, but I'm not sure if that has been released.

>>> I agree that some of the select group entry names we've chosen are not optimal in the way in which they differ from the name of the port they provide. It might be a pain to fix that at this late date.
>
> Presumably you have hard-wired this connection between a select group entry name and some particular Apple binary. How do I find out which Apple binary?

They're not really hardcoded. It's just that they've been out there for a while, and presumably people are using them.

The symlinks to be created are described in a *_select port's "base" file.
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/files/base

The *_select port itself can create select entries corresponding to the system-provided installations.
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/Portfile

The paths to the system files are described in separate files.
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/files

vq