MacPorts missing links

Al Varnell alvarnell at mac.com
Mon Sep 12 20:40:16 PDT 2016

On Sep 12, 2016, at 8:23 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:

>> I would also encourage somebody to look into the need for both Xcode and Command Line Tools since Xcode 7. Apple makes it quite clear on the download page that Xcode now contains the CLTs, so installing both might well cause issues and clearly waste valuable space.
>
> Some stubborn build systems look for stuff in /usr/include and similar locations and complain if they don't exist. If anything, working on the inverse configuration (CLT only, no Xcode) would be a better use of time.

Thanks for clearing that up (hard coding, that is) and I agree with you that CLT only is a better use of time. I have been operating that way for the last couple of years and have yet to run into a port that I need which actually required Xcode, but maybe I’ve just been lucky. I see that https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29172 has been there for five years now, so I won’t hold my breath until it happens.

-Al-
--
Al Varnell
Mountain View, CA