Qt 5.x and OS X 10.6

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 12:54:08 PDT 2016

On Tuesday September 20 2016 10:02:59 Ken Cunningham wrote:

>I tried 10.7 first, but 5.4.2 would not install due to this message. Ergo moved up the chain to the next machine I had in line.
>
>>> Symbol not found: _NSPreferredScrollerStyleDidChangeNotification

That's a Qt bug you should report if 5.4.2 is still supposed to install and work on 10.7!

>$ ./analogclock
>This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "cocoa".

You should otool the cocoa QPA plugin, probably:

%< otool -L /opt/local/libexec/qt/5.4/clang_64/plugins/platforms/libqcocoa.dylib

>===
>Hey - why is it linked against libstdc++ ??? It was installed on 10.11 from a 5.4.2 binary. Would've thought it would link against libc++.

Not if they indeed target 10.7+. IIRC later OS X versions still have a libstdc++ runtime, for obvious reasons.

>That might be a dealbreaker...

You did the libc++ treatment, right? That may indeed mean that you cannot use a libstdc++-based Qt with libc++-based compiled code. I didn't think of that.
Then again, if it works on fully libc++ OS X versions while being libstdc++ based it may not be a dealbreaker after all.

>Besides 10.6 is just great - Rosetta, fast, etc, etc. And it runs enough to be useful, but I'd like qt5 if it will be available...

I know, I moved away with regret too. I kept a 10.6 VM for the few PPC apps I have licenses for (pre-dongle Illustrator c.s.) but in practice I never use it anymore. 10.6 booted a lot quicker, but how often do we reboot anyway ... :)