LibCxxOnOlderSystems - and more software that is pushing for gcc

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sun Sep 25 07:14:42 PDT 2016

> On Sep 25, 2016, at 9:49 AM, Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I actually do not think this is normally an issue. If the dynamic
> libraries manage the lifetime of their own object, i.e. do not do
> something like creating an object in a library but not providing
> a function to destroy it (so that the application needs to delete it),
> bad things should not occur. At least that is the only case I am aware
> of.

Right, Chris mentioned this earlier. If we were writing a C++
application, it might very well be tractable. The overarching issue
(which applies to many aspects of MacPorts) is that we are managing
*many* applications that *other people* have written, and it is
difficult to police them all.

> (I encountered this kind of problems on Windows, which was even
> worse, as each new release of MSVC brought in a different C/C++
> runtime, which can also be either static or dynamic.)

LOL that sounds terrible. Maybe we should count our blessings.

vq