os x 10.12 sierra syslog

Steve Wardle steve at swid.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 02:52:39 PDT 2016

Hi,

This isn't just a macports problem but someone here may be able to help.

I updated from OS X 10.11 to 10.12 over the weekend.
After rebooting the machine was still running macports binaries installed under OS X 10.11.
Postfix, dovecot2 and amavisd were running and logging to /var/log/mail.log correctly.

I removed and reinstalled macports and all the ports for OS X 10.12.
Now postlog, postfix, dovecot2 and amavisd run OK but nothing is logged to /var/log/mail.log.
The /usr/bin/logger command also won't log to /var/log/mail.log.

If I run postlog or logger from my 10.11 backup they do log to /var/log/mail.log so syslogd seems to be working as in 10.11 but any binaries compiled under 10.12 fail to talk to it.

Steve