fetching of some ports fails, but you can wget them from the same URL

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Sep 27 15:28:40 PDT 2016

On 2016-09-27 15:45, Ken Cunningham wrote:
> I've noticed this behaviour a few times recently, most recently today with hexchat, but this is not the only example.
>
> Trying to get a file using macports' fetch fails, but you can manually wget it without trouble.
>
> I'm not sure if it's an SSL certificate thing, or why this is happening, exactly.

In case of hexchat, the download server enforces strong security that
your client cannot fulfill. Our mirror infrastructure can also not
handle that.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/51112#comment:6

MacPorts itself uses libcurl for fetching, which is linked against
OpenSSL 0.9.8 or earlier on old versions of OS X. wget from MacPorts
will use OpenSSL 1.0, which is recent enough.

Rainer