Address of nonexistent hosts...?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 29 16:24:50 PDT 2016

> On Sep 29, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, September 29, 2016, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>> > On Sep 29, 2016, at 6:04 PM, Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster at gmail.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > Just installed a port and got this message:
>> >
>> > Warning: Your DNS servers incorrectly claim to know the address of
>> > nonexistent hosts. This may cause checksum mismatches for some ports.
>> > See this page for more information:
>> > <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MisbehavingServers>
>> >
>> > So I visited the site but it doesn’t look like any of the cases apply
>> > to me
>>
>> Are you sure? What happens if you visit a nonexistent domain in your
>> browser?
>
> vq
>
> It sends me to a search page apologizing that it could not find the page was looking for but offers alternative suggestions. So I guess this means AT&T is breaking relevant internet standards?

Yes.

> Then this means I should switch to a different DNS server?

Yes.

> I'm a bit of a newb at that sort of thing, not my speciality. How do I go about doing that?

Apple menu > System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS

Click the "+" button, add "8.8.8.8" to the list of DNS servers.

Click the "+" button, add "8.8.4.4" to the list of DNS servers.

(These are the Google public DNS servers.)

Click OK, click Apply.

Or, you can configure your router to automatically distribute that DNS server address to all connected clients; instructions vary depending on your model of router.