Do I need +universal to be used when installing ports?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat Apr 29 15:13:50 UTC 2017

In favor of getting rid of it, the pre-built binaries (much faster to install or upgrade) aren't built +universal; so if you get rid of it, you'll often get them.  Some things aren't pre-built, so you won't always get them, but it's still way faster.

There may be some ports or port options that need i386 (I don't know), but they should do the right thing.  (that's not based on massive familiarity, so someone that knows more than I may know of exceptions to that statement)

I would _guess_ therefore, that it would only matter if you have i386 code of your own that links with libraries provided by MacPorts.  You'd be the one that would know that.