port upgrade outdated reports weird problems with deadline and poplar

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat Aug 5 01:36:26 UTC 2017

Some notes of mine on /usr/local:  I can't avoid /usr/local entirely, since VirtualBox and Parallels install their command line tools there.  But I can move /usr/local out of the way, for the duration of MacPorts builds, as necessary.  More precisely, with System Integrity Protection turned off, I moved /usr/local elsewhere (not in /usr, which is mostly protected), and replaced it with a symlink to the new location.  That way, I can rename what the symlink points to, without necessarily needing to leave SIP turned off.  I also put certain items that need to always be available at the same path, in another subdirectory of the directory containing /usr/local; specifically, a PAM module, a recompile of linux pam_ssh_agent_auth, which once configured, allows su or sudo without password if one could e.g. ssh root at localhost with keys; the catch being if it's not in one of the usual locations (possibly including /usr/local/lib, I'm not sure), the module has to appear in the PAM configuration file using a full pathname.