running macports along with homebrew

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Aug 29 22:17:50 UTC 2017

On 29 August 2017 at 23:43, David Strubbe wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> How do you hide a prefix when installing?

You could have your path set to something like

    /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/homebrew/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

and then you would set it to

    /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11/bin

when installing packages to MacPorts.

I think that MacPorts already takes some measures to hide the path
that's irrelevant (so setting this might not necessarily make any
difference to MacPorts, but doing something equivalent for Hombrew
would probably help - unless they implement this feature recently in
which case it wouldn't make any difference). I don't want to make any
claims about current functionality as I didn't follow precisely.

BUT: note that if Homebrew is installed in /usr/local, there's
generally no way to hide packages from the compiler (except when using
"port install -t"). If you install Hombrew to /usr/local and want to
keep MacPorts and run into problems probably only god can help you fix
the issues :) :) :)

Mojca