GIMP native Quartz

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 16 03:23:52 UTC 2017

On Dec 12, 2017, at 18:48, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2017, at 3:50 PM, Riccardo Mottola via macports-users wrote:
>
>> Ok... fine... I will open an issue on track. I don't see an obvious error I understand so I ask help.
>> Does the buildbot run 10.5 x86?
>
> 10.5 Intel is rarely tested by anyone.

No we don't have a 10.5 i386 builder, and as I said there's practically no reason why anyone should use such a system, since all Intel Macs that support 10.5 can and should upgrade to 10.6.

We do, on the other hand, have a 10.5 ppc builder, because that is the last version of Mac OS X that works on PowerPC computers.

> Recently the build of cmake was changed to force it to build with gcc6 on 10.5.  This works on 10.5 PPC, but AFAIK it’s never been tested on 10.5 Intel, and quite possibly is broken, or needs tweaking.

I fixed it on 10.5 Intel. It works fine now.

On Dec 12, 2017, at 17:50, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> On 2017-12-12 21:51:45 +0100 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> The apple-gcc42 compiler is required to bootstrap everything. The
>> other two, gcc6 and gcc7 might indeed come from different ports asking
>> for different compilers, partially for the fact that not all of them
>> switched to the latest version yet, partially because for a very long
>> time gcc7 has actually been completely broken on 10.5/ppc. One of the
>> gcc compilers (6 or 7) might have a chance to be removed, but
>> apple-gcc42 is pretty important unless we start providing
>> bootstrapping packages one day.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. My Xcode actually comes with gcc-42 so I was wondering why.
> Perhaps because there are diferent Xcode versions for 10.5 and you want to be sure to have a consistent compiler? or is it any way different? It looks just a slightly newer build.
>
> Koreander:tenfourfox-orig multix$ gcc-4.2 --version
> i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5577)
>
> Koreander:tenfourfox-orig multix$ gcc-apple-4.2 --version
> i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-apple-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3) (MacPorts apple-gcc42 5666.3_15+universal)

I believe I previously stated that if a port installs another compiler via MacPorts, then it is because we found that that port is not compatible with whatever compiler would otherwise have been chosen. So there must be some port that you've installed that is not compatible with Apple gcc 4.2.1 build 5577 (which came with your Xcode), and instead requires the slightly newer Apple gcc 4.2.1 build 5666 dot 3 (which is in MacPorts).

So the simple answer to your question "why" is "because it is needed".