MacPorts 2.4.0 has been released

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Feb 1 03:10:56 UTC 2017

On 2017-2-1 03:33 , William H. Magill wrote:
> I just updated my two systems - an iMac and aMmac mini. The iMac when cleanly, but the Mac mini “hick-upped”.
> I thought the mini was on the immediately previous release. I guess not.
>
> Not a big deal. just interesting.
>

>  shianbrae> sudo port selfupdate
>
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> MacPorts base version 2.3.5 installed,
> MacPorts base version 2.4.0 downloaded.
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> --->  MacPorts base is outdated, installing new version 2.4.0
> Installing new MacPorts release in /opt/local as root:admin; permissions 0755
>
> Not all sources could be fully synced using the old version of MacPorts.
> Please run selfupdate again now that MacPorts base has been updated.
>
>  shianbrae> sudo port selfupdate
>
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> MacPorts base version 2.4.0 installed,
> MacPorts base version 2.4.0 downloaded.
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> --->  MacPorts base is already the latest version
>
> The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
>   port upgrade outdated

2.3.5 is indeed the immediately previous release, and this is all
perfectly normal when you have a locally generated PortIndex. You don't
want to update the index using the old version of base (which is after
all still what is running until it exits), so it defers that until the
next time you sync.

We put this in when users were seeing parse failures of some ports that
were using features that only existed in the new base version.

- Josh